Jimma University - ABH Campus in Addis Ababa is an Academic Program opportunity created through the affiliation of Jimma University and ABH Partners. The academic programs including the reputable Doctor of Medicine (MD) program, offer residents of Addis Ababa and the surrounding area a high quality education from one of the prestigious universities of Ethiopia, Jimma University. The aim of the academic program collaboration is to create an opportunity for high quality multidisciplinary healthcare professionals through the unique and world standard educational philosophy of Jimma University: Community Based Education. In addition, to quality education the ABH Campus offers a supportive administration team that enables students to support students and applicants reach their potential.
The Doctor of Medicine (MD) Training Program
A partnership program between Jimma University, ABH Partners and ALERT Hospital (for practicum training), the Doctor of Medicine (MD) training program gives eligible students an opportunity to become competent, compassionate and community oriented doctors with an internationally recognized standard of excellence. Admission into the program is based on students’ interest and the current scale on the Ethiopian Higher Education Entrance Certificate Examination, which is given at the end of the second preparatory year in the high schools or a first degree with a natural science background. Admission into the program based on high school examination result varies as per the scale of the Ministry of Education for each intake year.
Upon completion of the program graduates of this program are expected to embody the following competencies
- Recognize the abnormalities in body structure and function which occur in diseases
- Distinguish between the normal and abnormal human behavior including the important determinants of health
- Understand the molecular, cellular, biochemical and physiological mechanisms that maintain the body’s homeostasis
- Formulate appropriate diagnostic hypothesis based on sound, scientific understanding of normal and abnormal structure and function, disease processes, social and psychological context of illness
- Plan for individual care of patients, and apply the treatment of common medical, surgical, obstetrics, psychiatric and pediatric illnesses
- Comprehend medical literature and accept responsibility to contribute to the advancement of medical knowledge through conducting research
The Medical Doctor undergraduate training program curriculum is designed to challenge and grow our incoming students. The six year program is separated into five distinct phases; each designed to enable our students to become adept at every aspect of the training. Specifically the phases are Pre-Medical Phase, Pre-Clinical Phase, Clinical Phase, Community Based Education, and Internship.
The medical doctor training program is given during a regular schedule. Students are required to strictly attend 80% of the lecture sessions and 100 % of the laboratory and clinical skill training sessions.